Friday, March 1, 2013

Are Annoying Ad's Beneficial?

Has there ever been an ad on television or the internet, that seems like its only purpose is to get in your head, or to be annoying? I find that this happens far too often, especially with companies whose ads are constantly on the air. One commercial that seems to fit in this category is State Farm's commercial where one of the people in the accident has his mother show up instead of a state farm agent. I'm not sure if its that I've seen the commercial too many times, or if its the commercial itself, but whenever it airs I find myself reaching for the remote to mute the TV before the mother yells "SIX CALLERS AHEAD OF US JIMMY!". When a commercial becomes annoying not only does it get stuck in my head, but I start to resent the company for making the Ad. I understand that companies want their commercials to be memorable, or have a catchy jingle so the public remembers their product/service, but I feel that many companies are walking a thin line between memorable and simply annoying. A different commercial seemed to be annoying from the start; McDonald's "fish bits" commercial. In this ad the actors sing a "fish bits" jingle, which seems to get stuck in my head no matter what. With the amount of money these companies have to spend on ads, I feel that taking the annoying commercial route is only hurting their business, where they could be creating more effective commercials to promote their product.

Are there any commercials that annoy you? Do you think these ads actually help persuade people to buy the companies product?

No comments:

Post a Comment